Hey Genius!

You forgot to wear pants!
Ha ha! Made you look!

August 09, 2005

1 GSec; Why I'm not a samurai

8/09/2005 09:37:00 p.m.

Sometime in the last few months I turned one billion seconds old. I think the cake requires tiny blue LEDs rather than candles. Don't want to burn down the house...



I went to judo tonight, but nobody showed up. Not a huge surprise -- it's summer, and there are a couple of our members at the Legion camp at the Peace Gardens. Sat there and read the intro to Ideals of the Samurai. I'm going to have to borrow it some night, but I should find out who owns it -- if it's the dojo's copy, I don't have a problem taking it home and reading it, but if it belongs to one of the members, I'd like to ask permission before borrowing it.

I skimmed part of the Twenty-One Precepts of Hojo Soun. I think I'd have made a lousy samurai. He recommends going to bed no later than eight at night (since thieves usually come between the hours of midnight and two AM -- if you've been a-bed since 8PM, you'll be awake and aware enough to deal with them) and getting up at 4AM. Mind you, some of that is so that you can give the other servants their instructions by 6AM, and have time to do your work so that the master will see you as a good servant. Remember, everyone, the samurai were servants to their daimyo.

But still. The only times I remember seeing 4AM were coming at it from the midnight side, not the getting-up-early side. Ye gads.



Getting down to the end of my PHP project. Gad, I love object-oriented programming! Coded up a DB-read page in ten minutes from scratch, and it worked the first time. Nice. (Granted, the page that adds the data to the DB took longer, but most of the debuggery was stupid errors on my part, typos and the like.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home