Hey Genius!

You forgot to wear pants!
Ha ha! Made you look!

August 03, 2005

Wednesday Night Geekery

8/03/2005 09:07:00 p.m.

First off: <geek>Duh. chmod.</geek>

Sorry. I was struggling with a PHP script that was supposed to upload an image to a server. It would upload fine, but then it wouldn't allow me to copy the file from the temporary location to the location where I wanted it. It was throwing an error related to permissions. Tonight I got the bright idea to set the directory's permissions (using the delightfully arcane *nix command chmod, for change mode) so that the directory's owner and group had write permissions. Boy howdy, whattayaknow, it worked.

Sorry, that's still a little geeky, isn't it.

Well, it's things like that that have taken up the last couple hours of my life. chmod this, track down that missing }, try to figure out if I've closed all my open brackets (not that PHP will leave me guessing, no, it'll throw errors quite happily).

But now, I think, most of the hard part is done. There's one more major section to do, and I hope I can get it done this week sometime. Then I can get back to work on my NiP. (After I crit the entries in Keith's SF challenge, that is.)

Everybody havin' fun out there?

2 Comments:

At Thursday, August 04, 2005 11:52:00 p.m., Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

What's geekiest about that is that you found a hard way to do something that I can do with three or four mouse clicks. Yay Pat!

Reminds me of when I learned Basic in junior high. I wrote a twenty or thirty step program to add, subtract, multiply, or divide two numbers. Then I looked at it and thought, WTF? But then, that was back when a computer filled its own room.

 
At Friday, August 05, 2005 7:58:00 a.m., Blogger Pat J said...

Ah, yes, but someone had to write the code that lets you click thrice and see your image on the website...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home