Hey Genius!

You forgot to wear pants!
Ha ha! Made you look!

October 08, 2005

Corpse Bride

10/08/2005 02:07:00 p.m.

On Thursday, we went to see Tim Burton's latest oeuvre, Corpse Bride. The movie was good, but there was something missing. I enjoyed it, don't get me wrong, but I think I may have set myself up for a fall.

See, I have a bad habit of reading about films before I see them. The reviews I've read for CB were all very positive, and so I went in with high expectations. These hopes, while not dashed, weren't all met, either. I can't really put my finger on what was missing, but I know that this film didn't have the same kind of appeal for me as The Nightmare Before Christmas did. (As he sits there in his Nightmare T-shirt.)



Maybe it's just that CB was missing the sense of zany fun that Nightmare possessed. I was looking for a quirky little comedy, and I guess I got a quirky little comedy-drama.

Oh well. Like I said, I enjoyed the film. I didn't come out of the theatre regretting spending my money on it. It was exceptionally animated, well-written, touching, funny, heartbreaking, and on the whole a satisfying experience. Just... I don't feel the pressing need to see it again. (Unlike, say, Serenity.)

Snow—gone.

Just in case you were worried I was snowed in, or something.

3 Comments:

At Monday, October 10, 2005 6:39:00 p.m., Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

Invisible Lizard had a fine review of CB, too (I have him on my blogroll, if you're curious). I thought it was okay. Not great, okay. I wasn't a real big fan of Nightmare, though. For my money, Beetlejuice is still Burton's best, or close to it (I liked his Batman movies, too).

 
At Thursday, October 20, 2005 9:27:00 p.m., Blogger Rhoda said...

Hi This is sinsational.

I went to the movie's a couple weeks back with my sister. We watched Lord of War, with Nicholas Cage. I didn't care for it. Corpse Bride was playing at the same time. After readingyour post, kind of wish I'd pushed a little harder to get her to watch that one. She was dead set against it. I saw the nightmare before Christmas and rather enjoyed it.

Cool to see another Canadian on WBBS.

Sin/Rhoda

 
At Thursday, October 20, 2005 9:51:00 p.m., Blogger Pat J said...

Hi, Sin. Kind of cool to see another BBSer reading my blog. I see you've got an interesting little Hallowe'en challenge going; I may have to sign in.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home