Hey Genius!

You forgot to wear pants!
Ha ha! Made you look!

June 30, 2005

Things I can do in my basement

6/30/2005 09:58:00 p.m.

  • Sprinkle rice seeds and develop a paddy
  • Set up a mosquito farm
  • Set up a dragonfly farm
  • Get some wee, twee waterskis, one of those tin-toy boats that run on baking soda and vinegar, and lay out a little waterski course for small insects (I could even put little Herb/Fishy/Gaspode, the betta fish, into the water as a shark hazard, and re-create the Jump the Shark moment from Happy Days)
  • Sigh, put on the rubber boots, and swish some more water into my sump pump hole

Yep, ladies and germs, I've got water in the basement. Ground's freakin' saturated around here, and so it's got nowhere to go. And then yesterday it rained. All day, all night, somewhere about 50 mm (2 inches to you Yanks). Better than the 150 mm they were threatening, but still.

So we've been in the basement a lot these past few days. Not thrilled. But then I turn on the TV, and see the folks in Alberta and Saskatchewan with sandbags around their houses, and water so deep in the basement that hipwaders won't help, and I think, It could be worse.

But it could be better, too.

Oh well. These things happen. Someday I'll look back and laugh.

Not today, though, and probably not tomorrow.

So. How's everyone's day been?

3 Comments:

At Thursday, June 30, 2005 11:13:00 p.m., Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

Is T'other Half your SO's blog? I keep trying to get my wife to do a political blog. She's a news junkie, which I think is the prereq for a good political blogger.

Sorry 'bout the basement. Maybe if you plugged in a few dozen blow dryers and threw them under water, you could turn it into a great big jacuzzi. Hm. Something wrong with that ;o)

Hey Pat. Have you read Cory Doctorow's story "0wnz0red"? It's so full of coder inside jokes it went right over my head, but it occurred to me, "Hey, I bet Pat could understand this." It's in his collection, A Place So Foreign, which I got this wk from Amazon.

Best of luck with the basement.

 
At Friday, July 01, 2005 11:51:00 a.m., Blogger Pat J said...

Is T'other Half your SO's blog?

Yes indeed.

Maybe if you plugged in a few dozen blow dryers and threw them under water, you could turn it into a great big jacuzzi. Hm. Something wrong with that ;o)

I already contemplated burning down the house. Not in the cards. Nice idea, though.

Have you read Cory Doctorow's story "0wnz0red"? It's so full of coder inside jokes it went right over my head, but it occurred to me, "Hey, I bet Pat could understand this."

I may just have to hunt that one down. I think I'm gonna have to read Charlie Stross's Accelerando; somewhere I've got my downloaded copy. Heard of that one yet? Online, for free.

 
At Friday, July 01, 2005 8:17:00 p.m., Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

Yeah, I read a bit of it when Scalzi hyped it. Not bad, but it didn't exactly grab me. So much of what's out there seems like 'geek-cool' one-upsmanship. Can't remember if Accelerando fit that category or not -- but that's why I'm NOT reading certain things these days.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home